The rules for how organizations collect, use and disclose personal information are set out in the Personal Information Protection Act.
Personal information is information that is about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include an individual’s contact information at their place of business or information that they produce for their work activities.
The Personal Information Protection Act permits GNO in Vic to collect, use and disclose personal information only for purposes that are reasonably appropriate for our operations, and only when we have the consent of that individual or the law authorizes us to act without their consent.
How do we collect personal information?
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the individual voluntarily provides their personal information for those purposes, GNO in Vic will communicate the purposes for which we collect personal information, either orally or in writing, before or at the time the information is collected.
We collect your personal information directly from you, including when you:
- access or use the GNO in Vic website (the website);
- sign up to receive news about GNO in Vic and information about events organized or promoted by GNO in Vic;
- make inquiries about GNO in Vic or otherwise communicate with us by email, by telephone, in person, via our website or otherwise; and
- apply to get involved with us in a volunteer or contracting capacity.
Where it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will only collect personal information about you from you directly and from third parties.
GNO in Vic (the researcher) is conducting a community survey called, The Safer Spaces Survey (the survey). We will not collect any personal information from you should you voluntary choose to participate.
The survey is anonymous and uses Gravity Forms on this website to collect data. Through our survey, we have enabled the functionality to not track IP addresses from participants.
Participation in the survey is completely voluntary. You may withdraw at any point up to clicking the ‘submit’ button. To do so, exit the survey and close your browser. Your responses will not be collected until you click ‘submit’. Since the survey is anonymous, once you click ‘submit’, there is no way for the researcher to determine which survey answers belong to you; therefore, we cannot withdraw your information from our data once you have clicked ‘submit’.
Once the survey has closed, the information collected will be transferred off of Gravity Forms to a secure cloud storage account that is only accessible by GNO in Vic. The collected information will only be retained until it is no longer relevant.
Any publication of the data will include collective information (i.e., aggregate data). Individual responses will not be shared outside of GNO in Vic. If you have opted to participate in a way that identifies you, as explained above, the data will be anonymized and any information that may identify you (such as an e-mail thread) will be destroyed.
If you would like to participate in this survey via another means (such as via e-mail or paper-based), please contact us at [email protected]. Please note that by contacting us via e-mail, your identity may be known to the researcher; however if you select this option, your identity will be kept strictly confidential.
How do we use and protect your personal information?
Collection, use, disclosure and retention of information must comply with provisions of the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act. Collected personal information will only be used by authorized GNO in Vic Administrators to fulfill the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose. GNO in Vic does not disclose your personal information to other public bodies or individuals except we obtain consent or as authorized by law.
GNO in Vic only collects personal information that is reasonably appropriate to fulfill the purposes of our operations and keeps the information only for the length of time necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
Some of the specific purposes for which we use your personal information are as follows:
- to provide you with news about GNO in Vic and information about events organized or promoted by GNO in Vic;
- to enable the proper operation and functionality of the GNO in Vic website;
- to verify your identity (for example, if you request access to the personal information we hold about you);
- to consider you for involvement in a project or initiative (whether as an volunteer or contractor) or other relationships with us;
- to communicate with you and to address any issues or complaints that we or you may have regarding our relationship;
- for direct marketing purposes (see the “direct marketing communications” section below); and
- to contact you regarding the above, including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
Direct marketing communications
We will only send you direct marketing communications via e-mail, including news about GNO in Vic and information about events organized or promoted by GNO in Vic, where you have consented to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications at any time by contacting us at [email protected] for the attention of the privacy officer or by using opt-out facilities provided in the direct marketing communications.